Freeverse (portmanteau of Freedom & universe) is a rogue-like videogame which aims to provide the player with unlimited freedom and deepness of gameplay.
- Pseudo-infinite procedurally generated three-dimensional universe;
- Spherical planets with lands, hills, mountains and oceans;
- Programmable virtual computer based on CHIP-8;
- (?): symbol on screen;
- [?]: key to press.
The game begins with the player (@) inside a spaceship, located in deep space just over a planet. The player direction and movement is controlled with the arrows: [←↓→] rotates the pointer, [↑] initiates the movement.
Rotate the pointer over the ship terminal (=) and [O]perate it to control the spaceship; move around using the arrows [↑↓←→] or the keypad.
Now [D]escend to the planet and fly across the sky looking for a place to land (green cells).
Once found a suitable place, release ship control [O]perating the terminal, rotate the pointer to the south door (+) and [O]pen it.
Once outside on the surface feel free to wander the planet, waiting for the rain, swimming in the water, exploring the depths of the oceans, or [E]xcavating holes and tunnels.
Finally return to the ship, [O]perate the terminal (=) again and [A]scend to deep space; you can now search for another celestial body to explore.
Tired of all that exploring? Access the ship [T]erminal and play with the advanced games supported by the virtual computer.
- In which language is Freeverse written?
- In Haskell while the virtual computer is implemented in C++.
- Is the code of Freeverse open source?
- No because I want to maintain full control over the development process.
- Why should I trust your closed source binary?
- I'd like to make a living out of the development of Freeverse; intentionally harming the player would be counterproductive.
- What do you expect there will be in version 1.0?
- There won't be a version 1.0: the minor will keep increasing to emphasize the working in progress nature of the game.
Version 0.1 (2021-02-23)
OpenBSD/amd64 v6.8: download (712 Kb)
SHA256 (freeverse_v01.tgz) = OJM4AUJlv+dV7PWVHrAZnXgBSYy+zvbAJfjW8/PN+gc=
If you like the game and the work that has been done, and want to secure further development, please consider a small donation... Buy Me A Coffee